Saturday, August 18, 2007

when bands become maps...

iowa

1930's rppc of an iowa school band, practicing what is probably their school song, while at the same time forming an outline of the state of iowa with their bodies.

along with the simple idea of humans forming a map, the image reminds me of a lot of 60's avant garde music performances where musicians would be placed around a space rather than on the stage. makes me wonder how spatial the music might sound for the musicians in the center(who, incidentally, are forming an "I" for iowa). i love that an image of a 1930's college football band can bring up ideas related to stockhausen... now if they were playing sternklang it would get really interesting!

Labels: , , , , ,

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Considering the orientaqtion of the capital "I", a better guess might be Indiana. See that little dip on the far left corner? Lake Michigan, I'm tellin' ya!

12:39 PM  
Blogger sroden said...

argh... you are certainly right.... geography and spelling were never my strong suits, so i tend to revert to my own incorrect assumptions way too often :-)

1:50 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Don't fret, I thought it was Idaho....

6:16 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home