1. the act of a person or thing that makes: The making of a violin requires great skill.
2. structure; constitution; makeup.
3. the means or cause of success or advancement: to be the making of someone.
4. Usually, makings. capacity or potential: He has the makings of a first-rate officer.
a. material of which something may be made: the makings for a tossed salad.
b. Older Slang. paper and tobacco with which to make a hand-rolled cigarette.
6. something made.
7. the quantity made: a making of butter.
8. in the making, in the process of being made; developing or evolving; growing: Our space scientists see history in the making.
1. a relatively permanent enclosed construction over a plot of land, having a roof and usually windows and often more than one level, used for any of a wide variety of activities, as living, entertaining, or manufacturing.
2. anything built or constructed.
3. the act, business, or practice of constructing houses, office buildings, etc.
1. a person who produces works in any of the arts that are primarily subject to aesthetic criteria.
2. a person who practices one of the fine arts, esp. a painter or sculptor.
3. a person whose trade or profession requires a knowledge of design, drawing, painting, etc.: a commercial artist.
4. a person who works in one of the performing arts, as an actor, musician, or singer; a public performer: a mime artist; an artist of the dance.
5. a person whose work exhibits exceptional skill.
6. a person who is expert at trickery or deceit: He's an artist with cards.
7. Obsolete. an artisan.
1. a person who practices or is highly skilled in a craft; artisan.
2. an artist.